Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Starting encaustics

I'm beginning to get really into encaustics and have now got my supplies at the ready. I made something small to get me started and to experiment - it's really a simple no-fuss mini wallhanging - oh I can see myself totally immersed in hot beeswax - well not literally, it's very addictive.

I think that the part I love is the weighing out and concoctions of waxes and colourings, I suppose you'd call it alchemy!! There's a touch of the witch in me and I'm sure in a former life I was cooking up potions and spells!!

It's in my shop  Wee Art Things

2 comments:

  1. We must be thinking in tandem. I am hoping to get my D...r resin next week, so I can mix it with my wax and get busy with encaustics. I have wanted to do it for so long. Unlike you, it will be a new medium for me and I can't wait to start.

    Yours will be better than mine though; so no comparisons.
    Have fun with your witches brew!
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence, Sue! Dying to see what you do. I got a fab DVD by a US encaustics artist and it really whetted my appetite. Before I knew the correct proportions of damar and wax, it came out like heavy syrup and couldn't do anything with it!!

    ReplyDelete